Monday, September 24, 2012

My Freedom of Expression

‘Art for art sake’ ‘Freedom of expression’ – all the right words that express our support for people and artists worldwide. I have been to exhibits that challenged me ethically and politically. However, a few days ago I went to an exhibit that offended me. 

I was personally repulsed by a ‘satirical cartoon’ that appeared at the Strathcona County Art Gallery @501 that under the guise of slamming the oil industry depicted the beating up of a woman - all in glorious colour graphics. Another piece of art used sexual innuendo to slur our Premier and Prime Minister. This does not reflect the values of myself, my friends or neighbours.

Is this type of art of value as a way to initiate a thought provoking discussion on violence in our society? Sadly, the pulling of any art piece will provide media attention that will please the artist and all who benefit from the sale of this type of product. 

As a member of this community I pay for the gallery. This is the second exhibit that has displayed sexually explicit material that our community members have found offensive. Where are the regulations and direction? Why don’t we have a policy that more correctly aligns with our community values? 

This is not what I expect when I go into a facility that my taxes pay for. If it had been in a private room in a private gallery I would have sadly shaken my head and turned and walked away – because, I am only one and must respect ‘freedom of expression’.

So, that’s how I feel as a resident and taxpayer. As a Councillor, I will express my concerns again and again and demand a policy change that more accurately reflects this community’s values and beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. For the protection of all resident blog readers, all comments will be moderated for spam. Valid comments will be posted as quickly as possible.