Monday, August 29, 2011

Municipal Elected Officials - To Publicly Endorse or Not to Endorse


Decidedly not , is my personal opinion and one I apply as my own rule of thumb.
As I stated on a recent tweet...for a municipal representative to endorse a candidate for provincial leadership is akin to venturing into some very deep and dark waters – with no life jacket.

As an elected official – I have to put my personal views aside in all matters public. It is our duty as elected officials to work on citizens behalf with the province. Why would I criticize the government in power instead of working with them and offering positive options to change?  Why would I promote one capable, hard working leadership hopeful over another?
Endorsing a leadership candidate is like betting at the track. Good Luck. And by the way if your ‘horse’ does not come in, it will have an impact on the future. The currency here is possibly money long term – but definitely good will and respect in the short term.
Why not instead urge residents to examine the promises and attributes of all candidates – help them find the information on all candidates. I want my residents to make their own decisions based on facts – not on my personal opinion.

I believe in building relationships with fellow elected officials. You don’t build good will by publicly waving the flag for one or the other candidate.

Now here is the real moral to the story: while I will not publicly champion one candidate over the other I will urge every single person to go buy a membership in this and every other leadership race. Why? Because it is a democratic privilege. Most importantly it is an opportunity for each one of us to be a part in picking the person  who will provide much needed leadership skills and fortitude in the coming years of challenge and change for Alberta.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. For the protection of all resident blog readers, all comments will be moderated for spam. Valid comments will be posted as quickly as possible.