Friday, September 17, 2010

Running for Office


In my  July 25, 2010,  blog A Day in the Life, where I describe what a Councillors job is to me, I stated that I  consider being a Councillor for Strathcona County residents a full time job – and then some.
I talked about the importance of elected officials serving their community.

It requires time to build relationships and to support non-profit organizations, churches, businesses, the Chamber, parent council and other community minded stakeholders.

I blogged about the importance of time spent on committees that focused on all levels of issues: neighbourhood, municipal, regional and provincial.

As an elected official, I spend hundreds of hours on strategic planning, in council workshops, budget sessions and Council Meetings. 

By far the greater percentage of my time is spent on resolving issues residents have; concerns that are not being addressed to their satisfaction, questions regarding the complexities of the system or disagreements with County process or policy.

I consider that my obligation to my residents is to maintain that schedule for as long as possible. I believe that I should maintain my focus on municipal matters and reserve my time for residents until Election Day.
There are guidelines that speak to the importance of all candidates for office having a level playing field. Well - most candidates who are not incumbents have a job. They use their personal time to campaign – often taking a leave of absence the 30 days prior to election to ‘run hard’ for office.

I chose not to declare months ahead of election day, take out ads, give out campaign literature, promotional items or use official functions in order to maintain my office. Instead, I chose to remain focused on fulfilling my duties, as your Councillor, for my full term of office.

On Sept. 8, 2010,  I was asked at a public meeting by a resident whether or not I was running. At that time, I mused aloud that it would be right to run again if I had lived up to the expectation of the residents who had voted me in last term. I noted that I believed I had achieved some worthwhile community objectives that improved the quality of life of our people on both a community and regional level. Knowing that I have more to do, I feel that running again is the right thing for both my community and myself.  

But note that I have not produced any electioneering materials; I have not put out a brochure or a platform prior to now. In fact, this whole website is populated with information that does not wave the campaign flag but is meant to give my residents an insight into what I believe in, what stands I took and why I took them.

Above all, I believe my job is to listen to you, and to serve the needs of the people of Ward 2 and Strathcona County. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. For the protection of all resident blog readers, all comments will be moderated for spam. Valid comments will be posted as quickly as possible.